AIA Owned Properties

 

Alliance Park

Photo courtesy of Royal Feltner

Alliance Park is located on Point Shore near 355 Main Street. In 1918, a fire destroyed the Kranz Coal wharf which was located at the junction of the Merrimac and Powow Rivers. In 1920, AIA members William E. Biddle and Augustus N. Parry bought the land and donated it to the AIA to restore as a park and a memorial to the ships built here earlier. The Alliance, one of the first frigates built for the Revolutionary Navy, was built near here in the Daniel Webster shipyard in 1777–1778 and named in honor of the alliance between France and the American colonies. It is said to have carried General Lafayette across the Atlantic three times. For a time it served as John Paul Jones’ flagship. This property is owned and maintained by the Association as Alliance Park, a popular picnic and sight-seeing area.

There are two plaques commemorating ship building. The oldest one reads, “Alliance Park, near this site in 1777–1778 one of the first frigates of the Continental Congress, the Alliance was built by William and john Brackett. Land presented to the Amesbury Improvement Association on the occasion of Amesbury’s 325th anniversary of incorporation as a town, 1993.” A total of 28 shipbuilders are listed.

A memorial flagpole was erected in 1996 in memory of past Amesbury Improvement Association Presidents: Dr. Horace Leslie; Cyrus Rowell; Harris Chadwell, 1886–1927; Frank Hoyt, 1928–1965; Hawley Patten, 1965–1996.

 

 

Golgotha Memorial

Photo courtesy of Royal Feltner

In 1903, through the generosity of Amesbury native Gayden Morrill, “Golgotha” the burial ground of the first settlers of Amesbury, was donated to the Association and is still maintained by the group.

Golgotha Burial Ground is located next to 52 Macy Street and was the burial ground of Amesbury’s first settlers. The AIA installed a plaque and stone in 1903. The plaque reads, ‘Memorial to the first settlers of Amesbury 1654 and their first burial ground, AIA 1903.” There are no gravestones left, but it is thought that there are about 40 people buried here, many of them children.

 

 

 

Patten’s Pond Bird Reservation

b

Photo courtesy of Royal Feltner

Patten’s Pond is located on Main Street opposite the Post Office. In 1930, Miss Annie Montgomery Horton, an active AIA member and aunt of Hawley Patten, gave the entire south-west shoreline of Patten’s Pond to the AIA as a bird reservation. Other abutters, Annie F. Whelpley, Harriet M. Merrill, Margeurite Merrill, and B.J. Checkoway followed her example and waived their shore rights, resulting in a 25-foot strip around the pond for the Association.

The plaque on the stone reads, “Patten’s Pond Bird Reservation, land presented by AIA 1948, Annie M. Horton, Annie F. Whelpley, Harriet M. Merrill, Margeurite Merrill, B.J. Checkoway.”

The Captain’s Well Memorial

a

Photo courtesy of Royal Feltner

The Captain’s Well is located next to the Middle School on Main Street. This land was given to the AIA by Mrs. Jacob Huntington in 1890.

In 1792, Valentine Bagley, and Amesbury seaman, was shipwrecked off Arabia and nearly dies of thirst. He vowed that if he made it back home, he would dig a well for the passerby so that no one would suffer from thirst as he had. He dug the well in 1796. Mr. and Mrs. James N. Walker donated and dedicated the memorial in 1929. It was created by sculptor Leonard Craske, creator of the doughboy statue in Amesbury and the fisherman statue in Gloucester. The well was immortalized in the poem by John Greenleaf Whittier in 1890.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Page 1, 2, 3